SCG – Dow Completes MOC Debottleneck, Ready to Accelerate Growth and Meet Global Demands
Roongrote Rangsiyopash, President and CEO of SCG, said, "The MOCD is the MOC's largest project in terms of investment and technological challenges. The project was completed earlier than planned despite being amid the COVID-19 pandemic thanks to the stringent and continuous implementation of COVID-19 response measures and our professionals' capability and expertise to ensure safe and coherent project progress. The project is now ready to meet the demands of the domestic and international markets."
Tanawong Areeratchakul, President of Chemicals Business, SCG, said, "The MOCD is another significant collaborative milestone between SCG’s Chemicals Business and Dow which work together to build growth and improve potentiality and competitive advantage at a global scale. This project will add MOC's olefins production capacity by 350,000 tons per year and increase flexibility in feedstock selection, harnessing advanced production technologies that can lower costs and support energy-saving and green process. The full commercial production is expected to be ready in May 2021."
Bambang Candra, Asia Pacific Commercial Vice President of Dow Packaging and Specialty Plastics, revealed, "Dow's differentiated offerings in packaging and specialty plastics applications have seen exceptional growth and traction in the Asia Pacific driven by megatrends including sustainability, industry 4.0, and healthcare. The successful completion of the debottlenecking delivers welcomed capacity expansion that helps position Dow well to continue to capture this growth."
Chatchai Luanpolcharoenchai, Dow Thailand President, concluded, "Dow's collaboration with SCG to invest and bring in state-of-the-art technology to this project demonstrates our commitment to customers in the Asia Pacific and the growth of their businesses. It also strengthens Thai industries' technology and competitiveness, which will help drive the country's economy.”
Map Ta Phut Olefins Company Limited (MOC) is a joint venture between SCG Chemicals Company Limited (a wholly-owned subsidiary of SCG) and Dow. Currently, SCG holds an indirect stake of 67% in MOC while Dow owns the remaining 33% of both direct and indirect shares. In 2018, SCG and Dow approved the MOC Debottleneck project with an investment of approximately 15.5 billion baht.
About Map Ta Phut Olefins Company Limited
Map Ta Phut Olefins Company Limited (MOC) is a world-scale upstream petrochemical plant with a comprehensive production range that links to downstream petrochemical activities. Located in Map Ta Phut Sub-district, Rayong Province, the plant has commenced its operations since April 2010 and completed a debottlenecking project or MOCD to start a full commercial operation in May 2021.
About SCG, Chemicals Business
Chemicals Business, SCG, is one of the largest integrated petrochemical companies in Thailand and a key industry leader in Asia offers a full range of petrochemical products ranging from upstream production of olefins to downstream production of 3 main plastics resins: polyethylene, polypropylene, and polyvinyl chloride. Chemicals Business is committed to conducting business in line with Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) and achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Chemicals Business on developing new technology and innovation to create high value-added products (HVA) and holistic service solutions concerning areas on the rise such as circular economy, medical & healthcare, electric vehicle (EV) to better meet diverse places emphasis demands and sustainable environmental stewardship. For more information, please visit www.scgchemicals.com.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation, and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer-centric, inclusive, and sustainable materials science company, with a purpose to deliver a sustainable future for the world through our materials science expertise and collaboration with our partners. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings, and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility, and consumer care. Dow operates 106 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $39 billion in 2020. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact:
Supaporn Sootsuwan, Chemicals Business, SCG
Tel. 02-586-4865/ 082-453-5191
Apiradee Poopirom, Dow Thailand Group
Tel. 02-3657296 / 081-8026933